[BRLTTY] Improving the key table help.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jan 14 11:14:45 EST 2015

[quoted lines by Sébastien Hinderer on 2015/01/14 at 10:06 +0100]

>Couldn't the help system work exactly like the menu system does?
>Because there, it seems to me that all the logic to navigate through a
>tree is already present.

It may seem similar, but I don't think it'd work out very well. The menu
screen, in many cases, alters the bindings such that easy-to-use keys perform
common menu operations. I suspect that doing this to the help screen owuld make
navigating it noticeably more difficult. One such override is that the menu
screen uses the routing keys for choosing a setting. Using the routing keys for
regular cursor routing is, however, IMO useful within the help screen in order
to easily mark a reading location to return to later.

Since I believe it's a generally useful change, I did go ahead and alter the
"go up to previous paragraph" function to go to the first (rather than to the
last) line of the previous paragraph. This does indeed make the two functions
(go up/down to first line of paragraph) work very well for skipping through the
headers within the help screen. Could y'all please give it a try?

Also, if anyone thinks that this change is a bad idea, just let me know. It can
easily be removed. Do try it first, though. I find myself wishing that it had
worked this way from the outset.