[BRLTTY] Improving the key table help.

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Jan 15 09:58:27 EST 2015

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> [quoted lines by Sébastien Hinderer on 2015/01/14 at 10:06 +0100]
>
>>Couldn't the help system work exactly like the menu system does?
>>Because there, it seems to me that all the logic to navigate through a
>>tree is already present.
>
> It may seem similar, but I don't think it'd work out very well. The menu
> screen, in many cases, alters the bindings such that easy-to-use keys perform
> common menu operations. I suspect that doing this to the help screen owuld make
> navigating it noticeably more difficult. One such override is that the menu
> screen uses the routing keys for choosing a setting. Using the routing keys for
> regular cursor routing is, however, IMO useful within the help screen in order
> to easily mark a reading location to return to later.

Since all the years I have been using BRLTTY, I have not made a single
use of the cursor in the help screen.  My initial suggestion would have
been to use the routing keys as well.  If someone wants to remember
locations in the help screen, I think SETMARK and friends are the proper
way to do that.

IMO, we could do without cursor routing, and use the routing keys for
expansion, I'd like that.

> Since I believe it's a generally useful change, I did go ahead and alter the
> "go up to previous paragraph" function to go to the first (rather than to the
> last) line of the previous paragraph.

Very good idea.  I think this is much better and actually more useful.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'