[BRLTTY] Stopping brltty in Debian; also starting a different brltty and running brltty sooner

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Nov 2 03:56:43 EST 2015

Cheryl Homiak <cah4110 at icloud.com> writes:

> How does one now stop brltty in debian. I have the debian package
> installed
> but I also have the latest github version installed. I can't figure
> out how to stop debian's brltty from running. Killall -9 stops it but
> it is started up again and the same thing seems to happen with tryint
> to use /etc/init.d/brltty stop.

This looks like systemd.  Try "systemctl stop brltty".

> Secondly, now that there is no inittab I cannot figure out how to
> start brltty as early as possible. I tried using initramfs and I can't
> recall now what happened so maybe I need to try it again but it either
> didn't start it earlier or caused other complications; I will check
> into that again. But also I can't figure out how to have my github
> version of brltty start up instead if I want that and start as early
> as possible. I realize we have moved on and maybe eventually I will be
> happy with it but I knew how to use /etc/inittab and I really don't
> know how to use this new setup.

systemd is indeed a completely new beast.  THe inittab as such is gone,
as far as I know.  systemd does dependency-based booting.
So you specify the actual point where BRLTTY should be run by changing
your unit file.

This brings me to your development version.  You could write a new
systemd unit file, something like brltty-github.service.
This would start your local installation.
You can then start/stop these two individually.

You can look at /lib/systemd/system/brltty.service
for an example.  Copy that to /etc/systemd/system/brltty-github.service
and adjust the file.  Dont forget to call "systemctl daemon-reload".

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕