[BRLTTY] Problem connecting the braille display Brailliant BI 40

Shérab Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Fri Nov 13 03:38:04 EST 2015

Hi,

Mario Lang (2015/11/12 23:29 +0100):
> Yes, because udev-activation is not enabled on Debian by default.

What is udev-activation, actually? I googled a bit but couldn't find
anything about it. Is there documentation somewhere?

> You are free to use the example file provided to configure your system
> to use it.

Is it just a matter of copying it in /lib/udev/rules.d?

> I am not quite sure that *everything* would work just fine.

Yes, I realise this.

> The problem here is that udev rules can basically just be used
> to do auto-activation if you use USB.  However, not all
> configurations do exclusively use USB.  My laptop, for instance,
> has BRLTTY configured to find my display *either* via USB or Bluetooth.
> This has prooven to be very helpful once my bluetooth stack broke.

I can imagine, indeed.

> Additionally, some people are still using serial braille displays.

I'm one of them.

> These can also not be handled by udev (AFAIK).

Indeed.

> If we enable udev activation by default, we need to teach the users
> additionally about the fact that in some cases, they will have to enable
> the daemon, and in some other cases they dont.
>
> I am personally not ready to open that can of worms yet.
> Especially, because I don't really see what we would be gaining.
> Most of us have BRLTTY around on their systems most of the time anyway.
> And if resource consumption is a problem, for instance, on an embedded
> system, you can still manually drop these udev rules into your system
> configuration and use them.  However, maybe I am missing an obvious
> point.
> Why is it particularily pressing to give up control about launching
> brltty?  Just another link in a chian of things that should never
> break.

I undestand your point. My concern was indeed to be able to plug
multiple braille devices simultaneously, as you mentionned in anoother
e-mail. So what I had in mind was to try to achieve the best of both
words: having one system daemon started for so-called regular devices
and still having hotplug enabled to support devices that are connected
occasionnaly only. I do realise that even that would not cover all
situations, of course.

Shérab.