[BRLTTY] Problem connecting the braille display Brailliant BI 40

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Fri Nov 13 05:02:59 EST 2015

Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Mario Lang (2015/11/12 23:29 +0100):
>> Yes, because udev-activation is not enabled on Debian by default.
>
> What is udev-activation, actually? I googled a bit but couldn't find
> anything about it. Is there documentation somewhere?

Just a made up term.  I was trying to refer to brltty being started by
udev.

>> You are free to use the example file provided to configure your system
>> to use it.
>
> Is it just a matter of copying it in /lib/udev/rules.d?

It should be.  I have never tried.

[...]

> I undestand your point. My concern was indeed to be able to plug
> multiple braille devices simultaneously, as you mentionned in anoother
> e-mail. So what I had in mind was to try to achieve the best of both
> words: having one system daemon started for so-called regular devices
> and still having hotplug enabled to support devices that are connected
> occasionnaly only. I do realise that even that would not cover all
> situations, of course.

What would happen if you disconnect both devices and reconnect them both
again, without starting/stopping any daemons?  Will udev fire up two new
brltty processes, in addition to the already running one?
Do you see what I am trying to get at?  This has quite some potential to
leave behind a mess.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕