[BRLTTY] Problem connecting the braille display Brailliant BI 40

Shérab Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Fri Nov 13 13:14:15 EST 2015

Mario Lang (2015/11/13 11:02 +0100):
> > What is udev-activation, actually? I googled a bit but couldn't find
> > anything about it. Is there documentation somewhere?
>
> Just a made up term.  I was trying to refer to brltty being started by
> udev.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

> >> You are free to use the example file provided to configure your system
> >> to use it.
> >
> > Is it just a matter of copying it in /lib/udev/rules.d?
>
> It should be.  I have never tried.

Okay.

> [...]
>
> > I undestand your point. My concern was indeed to be able to plug
> > multiple braille devices simultaneously, as you mentionned in anoother
> > e-mail. So what I had in mind was to try to achieve the best of both
> > words: having one system daemon started for so-called regular devices
> > and still having hotplug enabled to support devices that are connected
> > occasionnaly only. I do realise that even that would not cover all
> > situations, of course.
>
> What would happen if you disconnect both devices and reconnect them both
> again, without starting/stopping any daemons?  Will udev fire up two new
> brltty processes, in addition to the already running one?

I'd imagine some tuning of the udev rules which would of course have to
be done by the user to make sure udev does not try to handle the
"regular" braille display. Then, I could also imagine a mode of brltty
where it would simply exit at device disconnection. All that being
said...

> Do you see what I am trying to get at?

Yes, I do. And I also realise that what I suggested above may just shift
the problem to a different place...

Shérab.