[BRLTTY] Starting brltty automatically

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Nov 14 06:22:41 EST 2015

Shérab, on Thu 12 Nov 2015 20:51:45 +0100, wrote:
> Wouldn't it be more effficient to have udev rules that would detect the
> device when it is plugged and then start brltty with the right driver?
>
> Are there reasons that make this approach not possible in principle
> or not suitable, or is it just because nobody took the time to
> implement it so far that it didn't happen?

The latter. Sorry for not even having taken the time to answer your mail
on debian-accessibility (it is still in my inbox).

We have talked a bit about it with Mario at debconf.  The plan is to
have brltty installed by default on Debian systems, with a udev rule to
start it automatically.  We however have to be careful not to enable
rules for generic USB IDs, to avoid disturbing people who want brltty
loaded early, handle the case where several displays get connected, etc.

Samuel