[BRLTTY] BRLTTY and AT-SPI

Aura Kelloniemi spammi.helevetti at nbl.fi
Fri Nov 13 04:18:01 EST 2015

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

 > Aura Kelloniemi, on Fri 28 Aug 2015 23:55:53 +0300, wrote:
>> - There's no blinking cursor, or there is a double cursor (this is due to a
>>   bug in brlapi - cursor never blinks in brlapi applications)

 > This should be fixed in git.

It is fixed, thank you. Also the issue related to commands triggered by a key
press (and not just release) events has gone. Even long keypresses work in
BrlAPI. Thank you!

There remains four issues: one that I reported already which can be
reproduced with less and a long text file (just press down and right arrow
keys in less repeatedly and watch how the braille display behaves). This may
be related to the issue that BRLTTY sometimes shows garbage when navigating
past the bottom edge of a terminal in an AT-SPI2 terminal emulator.

The other is a bug in BRLTTY's BrlAPI braille driver. With it, I get double
cursor. The cursor is shown both by BRLTTY (which has its own cursor drawing
logic), but also by BrlAPI. The cursor drawn by BrlAPI can be seen alone by
opening any of BRLTTY's menus - normally the cursor is not visible in them,
but when using BrlAPI as a braille driver it appears "in a random place." (It
is not really a random place, but describing the logic is probably useless.)
When BRLTTY with BrlAPI is displaying terminal screen contents, both of the
cursors are visible at the same time. This can be seen by setting the cursor
to blink mode and watching for a minute or so. At least on my machine these
two cursor's mostly blink at the same time, but sometimes they get out of
sync, and the dots on my display start to "flicker".

The others are bugs in VTE, which I should report to them, but I let you know
about them as well.

The first is yet another bug with trailing whitespace:
In a text editor the cursor position is not shown correctly, if the cursor is
positioned on trailing whitespace on a line with normal screen attributes. But
the position shows up correctly, if the attributes have been set to something
else than the terminal defaults.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open emacs in a VTE terminal. (Using -nw if necessary)
2. In a new buffer press space on an empty line and see how the cursor does
not move on the braille display.
3. Set buffer's mode to lisp-interaction, type a semicolon to introduce a
comment and therefore different screen attributes.
4. Press space and see how the cursor moves as expected.

The other issue with VTE is that it seems to always put a trailing newline
character to the terminal widget's accessibility representation text. This
should not be done, because a screen reader may interpret this as an empty
line at the bottom edge of the terminal.

That's about it.

--
Aura