[BRLTTY] Braille display with PC keyboard?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Nov 14 06:25:15 EST 2015

Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Hey Mario!
>
> Thanks for your response! So helpful!
>
> Mario Lang (2015/11/13 11:07 +0100):
>> Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org> writes:
>>
>> > I realise that what I am really looking for in terms of braille device
>> > would be one that has both a braille display and a PC-style keyboard. In
>> > other words, a device that can be used for both input and output, but
>> > where the input can be done through a PC-style keyboard rather than a
>> > braille keyboard as is the case on HumanWare's brailliant.
>> >
>> > Does such a device already exist?

[...]

>> I also know of several 80-cell models with a built-in keyboard.
>> But I am guessing you are looking for  a protable solution.
>
> Well, that was indeed my first idea, but now that I give it a second thought,
> it comes to me that perhaps one wouldn't necessarily exclude the other. Which
> 80-cells displays do you have in mind?

Well, all 80-cell models make it very easy to place
a standard PC keyboard either on top or behind of them.
Handy Tech has the Modular series, old models being Modular 80, and
newer ones are called Modular Evolution.  These are braille displays
with a built-in keyboard and extra keypad (with 16 keys).  They are quite
heavy and big though.  I wouldnt want to carry any of these around more
than absolutely necessary.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕