[BRLTTY] BRLTTY on Android Tablet

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Aug 6 09:13:24 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by Rob on 2016/08/03 at 17:34 -0500]

>When on the home screen in the Galaxy, BRLTTY only says "Quick notifications"
>or "Recent Apps Back Home" no matter how muc you swipe around the screen or
>use navigation commands on the braille keyboard.

That was a problem when KitKcat first came out, but brltty was fixed, at that
time, to resolve it. I'm not sure what culd be causing it now.

>It is a good thing I still have some usable hearing and can still use Talkback
>to augment my braille usage.

I understand. We'll need to figure out a way to find out what's going on.

>However, in the few minutes i've managed to play with BRLTTY on the tablet, it
>seems to read all the home screen very well. I can only assume that it is a
>different touchscreen interface on here; or perhaps it is the launcher.

It wouldn't be the touch screen, but it indeed might be something odd that
Samsung is doing within their launcher. You could try switching to the standard
Android launcher.

What happens on the Samsung when you're on a screen that isn't the launcher?