[BRLTTY] auto-read, was: brltty new user

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Wed Aug 10 12:26:53 EDT 2016

Hi all

an older thread, but maybe that's still useful feedback:

Dave Mielke schrieb am 02.07.2016, 14:28 -0400:
>[quoted lines by Storm Dragon on 2016/07/02 at 08:54 -0400]
>
>>Oh, I must be misunderstanding what autoread is supposed to do.
>
>I assume you mean autospeak. What brltty's autospeak feature does is to speak
>changes to the current line. It has various subsettings so that you can
>optionally have different types of changes spoien, e.g. typed characters,
>deleted characters, replaced characters, selected characters, etc.
I misunderstood the meaning of the setting as well, when it was introduced. Most
screen readers have a speech-on/speech-off setting / key.

>>I wonder if y'all would consider adding a setting to read text as it comes in?
>>It would make mudding and some other tasks a lot easier.
>
>This is probably somethnig that Speakup does. Since it's within the kernel, it
>can easily hook into the place where characters are written to the screen.
>Brltty can't do that quite so easily because it runs outside the kernel and can
>only inspect what's currently on the screen.
Orca does it in terminals, I think they are looking at difference of the whole
visible screen and report that. That can be useful in a lot of situations, Storm
pointed out mudding [^1], where usually a bunch of lines appears every few seconds
and it is useful to have them read to you, however I use a different technique
for this scenario.
This feature is rather nasty when working in Vim or with a screen status bar, a
problem also present when using Speakup: along with the character inserted, the
update in the status line is spoken as well.

If such a auto-read mode was introduced, which I would like to see as well, it
should be easy to turn it off.

[^1]: as a reference, muds are a form of multi-player game solely based on text
    (so the whole surrounding is described, every interaction is described to
    the player)

>As far as I can recall, you're the first user who's asking for this feature.
>I'm wondering, therefore, out of ignorance and curiosity more than anything
>else, how it'd make a task easier as it could mean a lot of extra speaking. The
>way we'd tackle it from a braille perspective would be to use the brltty
>command that goes back to the previous command prompt, and then to start
>reading forward from there.
I have never used this command before. When I started using the console, I also
expected after hitting "ls", that all the files would be read to me. When I
don't want to hear some text being auto-read to me, I would just hit ctrl.

Thanks
Sebastian
--
Web: http://www.crustulus.de (English|Deutsch)  | Blog: http://www.crustulus.de/blog