[BRLTTY] no input from braille keys under some conditions

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Aug 10 19:17:33 EDT 2016

Hello,

Michael Katzmann, on Sun 31 Jul 2016 11:01:47 -0400, wrote:
> OK ...  I change the boot run level to 3 (no GUI (which I wasn't using anyway))
> it works.

I guess you are running your test application from ssh?

I see that in the boot version, there is a first connection before the
connection from your program. I guess it's xbrlapi (or perhaps orca)
running on the GUI, which thus eats all the keypresses from the braille
device. If you kill brltty, xbrlapi dies, and doesn't respawn, and thus
doesn't eat keypresses any more.

I.e. it's as if you were trying to get keypresses from the keyboard
while the X server is running, that's deemed to get issues.

So yes, shutting down the GUI makes sense, that will stop eating the
input presses.

Samuel