[BRLTTY] problems installing brltty-5.4

John Covici covici at ccs.covici.com
Tue Dec 6 02:41:36 EST 2016

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 02:27:58 -0500,
Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by John Covici on 2016/12/04 at 11:13 -0500]
>
> >I don't know if you remember, but I have been unable to install
> >brltty 5.4 because of a problem with linuxdoc-tools not properly
> >working  with  Brlapi.sgml.  Well, I have found out that it will work
> >if I do not use pipe, but use temporary files instead.  The pipe
> >limits the size  of its input or output to 8192 bytes.
>
> But the rest of the pipeline is, in theory, continuing to read from any of its
> pipes, thus freeing it up to accept more input. So I'm still not understanding
> why it wouldn't be working.
>
> I remember this issue, but I no longer remember exactly what the failure was.
> Could you please post the actual error again?
>
> Also, if you don't mind generating a huge file, you could send an strace. If
> you do, you should probably send it to me off-list as it really will be huge.
> The command would be:
>
>    strace -o /tmp/sgml.strace -f -s 100 command arg ...
>
> -o specifies the output file that'll contain the trace.
> -f tells strace to follow forks.
> -s specifies the minimum number of characters to retain for long strings.
>
> >So, I wonder if we could change the Makefile to use temorary files and this
> >would solve my problems with minimal impact?
> >
> >The command would be something like this with different file names
> >cat BrlAPI.sgml | sgmlpre output=txt  | nsgmls -D /usr/share/sgml -D
> >/usr/share/linuxdoc-tools -ifmttxt > out.1
>
> I'd rather avoid doing this sort of thing if at all possible. The only thing
> that I can think of, at the moment, is that a write to a pipe containing more
> bytes than the pipe's size is failing. Really, in my opinion, it should be
> blocking until all the bytes can be written. Maybe there's a way to configure
> the behaviour and/or increase the pipe size.

The problem was that the file got truncated after 8192 bytes, you
logged into my system and saw that.  But when I did the cat command
using files  insteadof a pipe, then it did function.  The pipe size is
much larger, so I don't know why the file is being truncated like
that.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici