[BRLTTY] problems installing brltty-5.4

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Dec 6 02:27:58 EST 2016

[quoted lines by John Covici on 2016/12/04 at 11:13 -0500]

>I don't know if you remember, but I have been unable to install
>brltty 5.4 because of a problem with linuxdoc-tools not properly
>working  with  Brlapi.sgml.  Well, I have found out that it will work
>if I do not use pipe, but use temporary files instead.  The pipe
>limits the size  of its input or output to 8192 bytes.

But the rest of the pipeline is, in theory, continuing to read from any of its
pipes, thus freeing it up to accept more input. So I'm still not understanding
why it wouldn't be working.

I remember this issue, but I no longer remember exactly what the failure was.
Could you please post the actual error again?

Also, if you don't mind generating a huge file, you could send an strace. If
you do, you should probably send it to me off-list as it really will be huge.
The command would be:

   strace -o /tmp/sgml.strace -f -s 100 command arg ...

-o specifies the output file that'll contain the trace.
-f tells strace to follow forks.
-s specifies the minimum number of characters to retain for long strings.

>So, I wonder if we could change the Makefile to use temorary files and this
>would solve my problems with minimal impact?
>
>The command would be something like this with different file names
>cat BrlAPI.sgml | sgmlpre output=txt  | nsgmls -D /usr/share/sgml -D
>/usr/share/linuxdoc-tools -ifmttxt > out.1

I'd rather avoid doing this sort of thing if at all possible. The only thing
that I can think of, at the moment, is that a write to a pipe containing more
bytes than the pipe's size is failing. Really, in my opinion, it should be
blocking until all the bytes can be written. Maybe there's a way to configure
the behaviour and/or increase the pipe size.