[BRLTTY] some strange issues with brltty 5.3.1

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Sun May 8 15:19:08 EDT 2016

On Sun, 8 May 2016, Dave Mielke wrote:

> Are you building eSpeak or are you using a prebuilt package? I don't (at least
> yet know what options it has, but it may need to be rebuilt to use ALSA rather
> than PA.

Note that when PA is installed, the default ALSA pseudo device routes
audio to PA and then PA routes the audio back to ALSA through a direct
hardware device.  So most non-PA aware applications do use PA without
knowing it.

Specifying another ALSA device might just work. But then it depends if
it is a soft mixing or a direct hardware device.  In the later case,
only one application can use it at a time.  And it may well already be
used by PA.

Another approach which might be worth considering is to have BRLTTY
execute as non-root.

Nicolas