[BRLTTY] issues with the espeak speech driver

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon May 30 10:22:47 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/05/30 at 02:08 -0500]

>Would it be possible to have brltty use the system locale to determine the
>espeak voice to use? For example, if the system were set to US english, it
>would use the us english voice to speak? That's about all the customization I
>need, that way if a user changes the system language brltty would
>automatically switch over to that language.

It might make speech response become way too slow if the locale were always
checked. Additionally, that may actually be rather difficult to implement as
the current locale is usually determined by looking at a nubmer of environment
variables and changing them in whichever official file they're defined in
wuldn't change them for brltty's already running process.

>My main problem right now is that brltty isn't speaking the log in screen or
>typed characters, or indeed anything after it speaks it's version.

That's because brltty's default isn't to speak unless no braille display is
being used. There are various settings that may need to be enabled, but let's
first figure out if speech is actually working. To do that, try explicitly
requesting that the content of the current line be spoken. To do that, use
KPEnter+KP5.