[BRLTTY] configuring brltty as a screenreader

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue May 31 04:15:04 EDT 2016

[quoted lines by kendell clark on 2016/05/31 at 02:30 -0500]

>Can you not simply select the bluetooth device in, say, gnome's bluetooth
>settings or in mate's and brltty will pick up on it?

No one has written such an interface yet.

>No rich uncles sadly.

I wonder why it's always an uncle. :-) Given that theoretically enlighted
people are having so few children these days, maybe no one has any uncles - let
alone rich ones - any more anyway. And then, of course, there's our passion for
killing off all of those unborn children that we do have, but now I'm getting
way off topic.

>I'm not sure if I can get a government agency to buy me anything especially
>since I've gone over to the dark side and use linux now instead of the
>"approved" windows and apple but it's worth a shot.

Linux isn't all that unapproved these days anymore.

>I wish my old braille note mPower still worked, I could use that as a display.
>Speaking of which, for braille notes, pac mate, braille lites and such note
>taking devices do you need to use the braille terminal mode, or can you simply
>connect these devices to the computer?

Same as you'd need to do with a Windows screen reader. A brailleNote needs to
be in its braille display mode. A PAC Mate's braille display can be removed
from the base unit and then directly used.