[BRLTTY] Compiling brailleback with brltty 5.4

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Nov 12 08:43:39 EST 2016

[quoted lines by payman shaykhmehdi on 2016/11/12 at 16:04 +0330]

>I don't know what was the problem, but  after configuring the project to
>compile only with my driver and ignoring all other braille display drivers,
>this makefile problem resolved!

That's a mystery that wouldn't leave me feeling very comfortable.

>> Do you know that brltty does run on Android?
>
>I have not tested brailleback yet, but it seems that it uses brltty for
>braille output.

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. Brltty itself runs on Android. You
could, therefore, just build brltty-5.4 for Android. Then we'd be able to help
you directly with any problems you're having.

>I have compiled brltty only with my braille display driver, but brailleback
>has some wrapper files for brltty that doesn't match with brltty 5.4.

You may have missed something else that I'd said. You could try with
brltty-4.6, which is a branch that didn't get released. It was, in fact,
created specifically for the BrailleBack people so that 5.x drivers could be
much more easily included in a 4.x build.

>have tried to fix mismatches but I couldn't. For example in file
>https://github.com/google/brailleback/blob/master/braille/service/jni/brlttywrapper/BrlttyWrapper.c
>, there is a function call for bluetoothAndroidSetConnection() and in 5.4
>we don't have this function and I don't know what is the equivalent
>function in current version.

That isn't a brltty function, so, in fact, no brltty release has ever supported
it.

The reality is that any code written to wrap brltty-4.x core code simply won't
work when wrapping brltty-5.x core code. The reason is that brotty, before 5.x,
used to poll for events whereas brltty 5.x is now interrupt-based.

>Is it possible for you to provide these wrapper files with brltty releases?

I myself have no particular interest in doing that since we'd never be testing
them. My preference would be for you to just use brltty-5.4 on Android, and
then let us know how we can improve it. The best, of course, would be for you
to be building with the latest development code.