[BRLTTY] Some questions regarding Android version

Henk Abma henk.abma at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 06:18:00 EDT 2017

In general I like BRLTTY on Android. Sometimes it reconnects to the display,
but that's not a real issue. There are a few things that don't work, or I
don't understand how to use them:

Android 7.1.2.

Brltty 5.5:

Display Freedom Scienetific focus blue classic.

1.       In some applications, I cannot scroll the screen. An example is:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.nos.app Here a list of
articles is presented, however I can only see the first page and see no way
to scroll down. With TalkBack and BrailleBack there is no issue.

2.       If in this same app,  I use the commands for scrolling, I move
between tab pages with different types of news. However, these pages are
only mentioned, not selected, so the visible selection is always the main
page, not the one that has focus.

3.       It looks as if brltty does not make use of the accessible
description attribute that developers can add to their items. E.g. the phone
app has 3 tabs, that have audible names in TalkBack, but no name in brltty.

4.       Folder names in Launcher are displayed twice, so I get Folder:
banking banking" in stead of the "Folder: banking" I would expect.

5.       I thought brltty showed multiple controls on one line, however,
currently it shows only one control per display. Is this a setting I missed?

6.       When browsing the help page, the lock timer is not reset, so after
reading for a while, the screen goes off. Maybe the lock timer could be
reset on every key press?

With kind regards,

Henk.