[BRLTTY] Introducing myself, and a question regarding BRLTTY for Windows

Lars Bjørndal lars at lamasti.net
Sat Apr 29 15:41:37 EDT 2017

Sorry for the lack of response until now.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 02:53:24AM -0400, covici at ccs.covici.com wrote:
> I think there is a setting which allows installation of unsigned .inf
> files, you may have to turn on the for developers setting or find the
> registry key to have this work.
>
> Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:
>
> > [quoted lines by Lars Bjørndal on 2016/07/15 at 08:35 +0200]
> >
> > >I tried to choose Install on the .inf file that's included in the zip
> > >bin directory. Windows 10, which I tried it on, claims that the
> > >.inf file doesn't have digital signature from 3rd part. I'm not sure
> > >what to do further.
> >
> > I also have no idea what to do about that, but that'd be why it didn't work.
> > It's the .inf file that maps the USB IDs to brltty. Something for me to
> > research, or for someone who already knows to describe for us.

I'm still not able to install the libusb driver from
brltty-libusb-1.0.inf, and so, I've no luck using the Handy Tech
Active Braille on Windows. Today I tried whith 5.5, from the zip file
brltty-win-5.5-1-libusb-1.0.zip. When I right click the .inf file and
choose Install, I get the message that says there is no information
about signature in the inf file from 3rd party. I found an article
that mentioned doing:

  bcdedit /set testsigning on

but that didn't make any change. The article:
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/the-testsigning-boot-configuration-option>.

I did not disable BitLocker or Secure boot, but the bcdedit operation was
repported as successful.

So if Felix or someone else is able to use Active Braille with BRLTTY
on Windows, it would be nice to hear how you did it.

Thanks and regards, Lars