[BRLTTY] Handytech Active Braille

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Sat Dec 2 16:58:10 EST 2017

Vincent LE GOFF <vincent.legoff.srs at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm currently testing a Handytech Active Braille display and I'm now
> trying to use BRLTTY with it.  Strangely enough, BRLTTY recognizes the
> display at once and with no particular problem,

Good.

> but key mappings don't work at all as expected.  The scrolling buttons
> (up and down) behaves like arrow keys (moving the cursor instead of
> the Braille window).

Only the left rocker behaves like cursor up/down.
The right rocker moves the display up/down.

>   The Braille keys do some additional strange things, but they don't
> write as far as I can tell.

The dot keys are configured to do navigation functions by default.  If
you want to use them to type Braille, you can enable that with
Dot7+Dot8+RightSpace.  To go back to the navigation mode, press Dot7+Dot8+LeftSpace.

>   Since I was using BRLTTY 5.3, I tried to get the most recent release
> and run from it.   After some problems (not completely fixed yet) I've
> got a working BRLTTY 5.5 to find out the same problem persisted.

We have been using these key bindings since a very long time now :-)

> Does anyonw own such a display and know if there is a specific set of
> action to use a proper key mapping with BRLTTY?

What do you consider proper?

>   Is it somehow a mistake in the original driver, and if so, can it be
> fixed?

It is not a bug.

--
CYa,