[BRLTTY] Handytech Active Braille

Lars Bjørndal lars at lamasti.net
Sat Dec 2 14:28:33 EST 2017

[Vincent LE GOFF]

[...]

> I'm currently testing a Handytech Active Braille display and I'm now trying
> to use BRLTTY with it.  Strangely enough, BRLTTY recognizes the display at
> once and with no particular problem, but key mappings don't work at all as
> expected.

You can press dot 8 on the display to get a help screen, and to get
info about which key should be used for which action.

> The scrolling buttons (up and down) behaves like arrow keys
> (moving the cursor instead of the Braille window).

On my display, this happens only if I press the left up/donw. If you
press the right up/down keys however, you should get braille line up/down.

> The Braille keys do some
> additional strange things, but they don't write as far as I can
> tell.

If you'd like to type with the keys on the display, you have to
activate braille key mode. Dot 7, 8 and left space and 7, 8 and right
space activate/deactivate braille keyboard.

> Since
> I was using BRLTTY 5.3, I tried to get the most recent release and run from
> it.  After some problems (not completely fixed yet) I've got a working
> BRLTTY 5.5 to find out the same problem persisted.
>

> Does anyonw own such a display and know if there is a specific set of action
> to use a proper key mapping with BRLTTY?  Is it somehow a mistake in the
> original driver, and if so, can it be fixed?

I have such a display, and it works as expected. Please read the help
screen mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Lars