[BRLTTY] polkit error with Ubuntu 17.10

Stéphane Doyon s.doyon at videotron.ca
Sun Dec 10 02:24:30 EST 2017

Hi,

I'm trying a fresh install of Ubuntu 17.10 on a new pc, and encountering
difficulties with BRLTTY X support.

Actually the version of BRLTTY that comes preinstalled appears to work.
But I was compiling the latest out of git, and with that one I get no
Braille output. Looking at the log:

brltty: BrlAPI connection fd=17 accepted: local <unnamed>
brltty: polkit_authority_check_authorization_sync error 11: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Any idea what that might mean?

I notice my new BRLTTY build says "BrlAPI Server: release 0.6.6" while the
version that came with Ubuntu says "0.6.5".

Before building I ran apt-get build-dep brltty, so I would hope to have
the dependencies I need.

The configure output does say:
     polkit: yes
     api: yes

The config.log has:
configure:7118: polkit package: polkit-gobject-1
configure:7122: polkit includes: -I/usr/include/polkit-1 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include
configure:7126: polkit libs: -lpolkit-gobject-1 -lgio-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0

One oddity, possibly unrelated, about libsystemd in config.log:

configure:11582: service package: libsystemd
configure:11586: service includes:
configure:11590: service libs: -lsystemd
configure:11609: system service package not available: libsystemd

yet libsystemd-dev is installed according to dpkg.

Unrelated to BRLTTY, there also seems to be some strangeness and
instability with orca, so not smooth sailing on this Ubuntu 17.10 install.

Thanks for any hints