[BRLTTY] autospeak=yes and using BRLTTY without braille display

Shérab Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Wed Jan 18 12:06:52 EST 2017

Hi,

Sebastian Humenda (2017/01/18 16:59 +0100):
> Hi
>
> I am wondering why autospeak is not set to yes/true, as soon as speech is
> enabled? This is something I find quite problematic, especially when
> using computers with a braille display I don't know.

I agree with Dave that having this set to true as soon as a speech
driver has been selected may not be desirable for everyone. That being
said, one thing I would find useful would have autospeech set to true as
long as braille does not work, for whatever reason (no driver selected,
display not present...). So speech would be turned on in emergency
situations and turned off as soon as things are back to normal (a
braille display becomes available).

> In such cases it's hard to
> open the preferences menu and having speech would e.g. speed up reading the
> keyboard table of the display.

One thing I'd find useful here would be to have command-line options to
enter help-screen, preferences menu and command-learn mode as soon as
brltty is started.

Shérab.