[BRLTTY] [5.5] Make messages disappear after key press

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Thu Jun 15 12:19:03 EDT 2017

On Thu, 15 Jun 2017, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2017/06/15 at 14:51 +0200]
>
> >Imagine I'm in Vim and typing a text. Then I hit Caps+t the time is displayed.
> >After I have read the time, I start typing again, but the message remains.
> >This means that I don't see what is happening at the moment. I could easily
> >miss updates on the screen and similar. This forces me to always press a
> >routing key to get back the on-screen text. Previously, a screen update would
> >discard the message. While I understand the reasoning, I think it makes sense
> >to discard message, if the users starts typing characters. In this case, we
> >can be sure that the message is not wanted anymore.
>
> Thanks. This example helps a lot. What you're really asking for is that a
> change to the screen dismisses the message. It can't be related to the typing
> because, were you not using a keyboard table, brltty wouldn't even be aware of
> your typing. I think your request makes sense even if a keyboard table isn't
> being used.

I disagree.  Screen changes happen all the time at random moments. I
would be very upset if I was in the middle of reading the time provided
by brltty and it gets pulled away when I'm in halfway through it.

Detecting key presses is certainly a good signal to use for discarding
messages. In the absence of a keyboard table then a new key binding for
the purpose of discarding messages in a message context could be
defined. In such a context the up and down navigation keys could be
used.

Nicolas