[BRLTTY] Problems 5.5 on CentOS 7

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Jun 15 13:29:11 EDT 2017

[quoted lines by Adrian van Bloois on 2017/06/15 at 18:05 +0200]

>Ik installed 5.5 on my CentOS 7 laptop, but it did not get running very
>well.
>I get on my display the text:
>brltty rev 5.5
>Followed by an empty line.
>
>And nothing else happens. I'm not able to move the display one line up or
>down, it is just stuck.
>I have removed the brltty.service files and all references to them so
>udev is resppponsible for starting the driver.
>But it does not do it the right way I guess.

My initial guess is that you're using older udev rules that don't use brltty's
new udev wrapper script (/usr/lib/udev/brltty-wrapper). Please check your
brltty udev rules file to see if it references this script. In my copy it's on
line 448, which says: RUN+="brltty-wrapper"

If you're using udev rather than systemd then you're up against something nasty
that newer releases of udev do. They unceremoniously kill any process they
start after five seconds. Brltty's new udev wrapper script does the necessary
cgroup stuff to get around that.

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | The Bible is the very Word of God.