[BRLTTY] BrlAPI Raw key code mode?

Shérab Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Fri Sep 1 03:53:51 EDT 2017

Samuel Thibault (2017/09/01 09:49 +0200):
> Hello,
>
> Aura Kelloniemi, on ven. 01 sept. 2017 08:01:36 +0300, wrote:
> > I would prefer the interface to be such that BRLTTY sends the raw key codes
> > (or commands, or maybe even both) to a client. Then the client responds to
> > BRLTTY whether it actually consumed the key or not so that BRLTTY can pass the
> > same code to another client.
>
> That will however lead to latency increase with each client doing this:
> key presses will bounce between brltty and clients before reaching the
> eventual client.

It's also not so clear to me in which order the key should be passed to
the different clients.

> That's why we introduced the acceptKeys principle, so
> the client notifies brltty ahead of which keycodes it can handle,

And it is worth mentionning here that this can evolve during client's
life, if necessary.

> so the
> ping-pong happens quickly within brltty itself.

And only between two players: brltty's core and the client that has
control of the tty which has the focus at some point.

Shérab.