[BRLTTY] link to screen source

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Mon Sep 4 16:55:43 EDT 2017

Hello,

Le 04/09/2017 à 22:32, Dave Mielke a écrit :
> [quoted lines by Cheryl Homiak on 2017/09/04 at 15:22 -0500]
>
>> I do want to add, though, that in using Macports for instance, it
>> really is necessary to use sudo so a person using a Mac and managing
>> Macports is going to need to become used to using sudo safely. There
>> are probably other circumstances where this is true as well.
>
> But there's no such thing as using sudo safely. You cuold be the most
> responsible system administrator on the face of the entire earth, but you're
> still trusting that the configure and make files, just to name a few, are safe.
> A lot of people have a lot of trouble writing and/or maintaining those files,
> since they really are kind of ugly, so why would you dare trust any of them?

I agree. But I even less trust myself, for very good reasons.

So whenever I build something from source, I unpack the archive in
an empty directory owned by didier, not root, and then I use fakeroot
for anything that would need to be root.

Usually I check that everything seems to work after ./configure && make
(assuming  autotools), then make a package in a format that fits the
package management tools I use, check its content (ownership,
permissions) and only then install it.

I see that fakeroot is available for Mac:
http://macappstore.org/fakeroot/
but can't say a word about it as I don't own a Mac.

Didier