[BRLTTY] Udev doesn't start BRLTTY after installation.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Sep 10 13:13:31 EDT 2017

[quoted lines by Arthur BREUNEVAL on 2017/09/10 at 17:31 +0200]

>I did a fresh Raspbian Stretch install on my Pi and for this
>occasion, I built BRLTTY to try to use with Orca. BRLTTY has been
>built and installed successfully.

Which release of brltty? 5.5?

>Then I installed the udev rules by
>going to Autostart/Udev and running sudo make install.
>If I understand well, udev should start BRLTTY very early at boot
>with these install rules.

Only if your braille device is already connected via USB when you boot the
system. What actualyl happens is that brltty's udev rules start brltty as soon
as a USB braille device is connected. If it's already connected when you boot
the system then brltty is started early in the boot (but only because the
braille device is already connected).

Which type of braille device are you using, and are you using USB, Bluetooth,
or serial?

>But it doesn't start BRLTTY at all. I need to start it manually after
>log in.
>I'm not familiar at all with udev. Do you think I forgot to run some
>scripts or did something wrong?

If you've rebooted after installing the rules then it should work. If you
haven't rebooted yet then you'll need to execute the command: udevadm --reload

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | The Bible is the very Word of God.