[BRLTTY] Espeakup vs Orca

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Fri Sep 15 18:44:08 EDT 2017

Hello,

So, now in Slint brltty works, espeakup works, orca works and can speak
to a braille device through BrlAPI. So far, so good. :-)

But users expect to be able to start in console mode, do some stuff,
launch a desktop with "startx", then switch between the desktop and the
console. For instance they type startx from tty1, then from one of the
desktops: Firefox, LXDE, Fvwm, Blackbox, Xfce; WindowMaker and maybe KDE
for now, as speech doesn't seem to work in Twm, go back to console mode.

>From the desktop typing e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F2 to go to /dev/tty2
>From /dev/tty2 typing Ctrl+Alt+F7 to go back to the desktop.

But currently if espeakup is started just before login, it continues to
speak the messages displayed on /dev/tty1 and speech is not available on
the desktop (using pulseaudio, autostarted for each user upon login,
not run system-wide) .

This issue has been described in this report log:

I came upon what seems to me rather a workaround in this post:
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?pid=257488#p257488

Incidentally, how can the user without a braille device know when to
type her login name then her password if espeak is not started? There is
spd-say but I don't know how to link that to /bin/login...

I saw that plop https://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux/live/brl.html
uses spd-say to give instructions before starting the desktop, but that
doesn't read the screen (or with a very tricky redirection?)

Of course I am ready to post this issue in another place where it would
possibly better fit.

Didier