[BRLTTY] Espeakup vs Orca

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Sep 19 00:02:01 EDT 2017

[quoted lines by Didier Spaier on 2017/09/18 at 20:21 +0200]

>Only caveat: I am aware that running pulseaudio system wide is
>discouraged including for security reasons. Any advice to avoid that or
>at least increase security while doing it is very welcome.

My opinion (and that's all it is - my opinion) is that they overstate the
security risk. There are two issues I can think of that need to be considered:

First: You may not want just anyone to be able to cause sound to come out of
the speakers, headphones, etc. I don't think this is a real issue because, as I
understand it, a user still needs to be in the pulse-access group in order to
send audio to pulse audio so you can control who can do it.

Second: There may be bugs within their code. They may be warning against
running the pulse audio server as root with system-wide access as a disclaimer
so that it's all your fault if they have a bug that allows someone to find and
use in order to gain root access to your system and compromise it.

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | The Bible is the very Word of God.