[BRLTTY] 5.6

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Apr 2 18:31:07 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Brian Tew on 2018/04/01 at 16:02 -0500]

>When I did the killall command it said brltty stopped, but it restarted after 5.6 failed.
>It restarted without my giving any commands.

The systemd units specify to automatically restart brltty if it stops. This is
to bring braille back as quickly as possible.

>The phrase "brltty stopped" came to my display, but does not appear in the
>script file.

That's what brltty writes to the display just before it stops. In other words,
you see that phrase because you killed brltty.

>Also sudo grep -irs brltty /etc/udev returns nothing.

That's correct. It wouldn't because that wouldn't be the path to any actual
device.

My guess is that 5.3.1 is being started by systemd in response to a udev rule.
This'll make it tricky to override. It's probably easier to cooperate with it
than to fight with it.

The easiest way is probably to just tell systemd what to run. Look in
/usr/lib/systemd/system for a file with a name like brltty.service. In it, look
for a line that starts with ExecStart=. It's probably specifying /bin/brltty
(maybe, since it's Ubuntu, it's /sbin/brltty). Change that line to point to the
brltty that you'd really like to run. After making the change, notify systemd
that you've made a change by running systemctl daemon-reaload. Then
disconnect/reconnect your device in order to trigger a rerun of brltty.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |