[BRLTTY] BRLTTY: Issues while reading lines in text mode

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Dec 26 20:59:27 EST 2018

[quoted lines by Ali Gürler on 2018/12/26 at 21:29 +0100]

>unfortunately, as long as I know brltty with language support, there
>is a phenomenon that I can not explain. If you open a text in an
>editor and navigate through it line by line with line up or down, it
>often happens that the current line is not read out completely, or in
>some cases one line above will be read by the speech synthesizer
>instead the current line. If you navigate a line up and back down,
>then the current line is usually read correctly. Sometimes the
>previous line is read, but not the current one, in which case you have
>to navigate up one line and down one line again.

You mean when autospeak is on?

Are you navigating with cursor up/down or with braille navigation?

If you're navigating with cursor up/down then make sure that cursor tracking is
on.

>Lines are not read out completely even if the entire content of a line does
>not change, in which case only the changed part is read out. For example, if
>you include the two lines "John is cool." and "Ali is cool.", the speech
>output in the line by line navigation "John" or "Ali" read out, because only
>this part of the line has changed.

I'd expect this to happen if you either use cursor down when on the bottom line
or use cursor up when on the top line because the screen will scroll but brltty
thinks it's still the same line. If this is the case then you can correct for
it by instructing your editor to scroll by at least two lines.

>It does not matter if the voice output eSpeak is addressed with brltty-espeak
>or brltty-speechd, the result remains the same.

Yes, because what brltty decides to speak is totally independent from which
speech driver is being used.

>This is understandable with all current versions of BRLTTY and the current
>language modules, which control the eSpeak.

Sure, so, whatever the problem is, it must be within brltty's core code.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |