[BRLTTY] Braille display inoperable in GUI since polkit-update

Frans-Willem Post fwpost at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 03:50:42 EDT 2018

Hello list,

Using:
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- GNOME 3.28.2
- Orca 3.28.0
- BrlTTY 5.5
- policykit 0.105

Since an upgrade of polkit last week, my braille display doesn't
work anymore when in GUI mode. On text console TTYs (Ctrl+Alt+F3, +F4
etc) it does work.

I have replayed this upgrade in a VM with a clean install of Ubuntu. The
problem begins as soon as the system reboots after the policykit update.

I've filed a bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/brltty/+bug/1782320

These are the error messages taken from /var/log/syslog:
brltty[2635]: polkit_authority_check_authorization_sync error 11:
Resource temporarily unavailable.
brltty[2635]: brltty: polkit_authority_check_authorization_sync error
11: Resource temporarily unavailable.

This is continuous, while the display reads "Screen not in text mode".
Ultimately, the display turns itself off (or BrlTTY does this, I don't
know).

Can someone help me get the display back up under GNOME (i.e. under X)?

Thank you very much,

Frans-Willem Post