[BRLTTY] Rocker Switches

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jul 25 21:06:56 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by wmichaelb at fuse.net on 2018/07/20 at 20:01 -0400]

>1.) I opened
>/etc/brltty/Input/ts/pb80.ktb
>with nano, and found five lines:
>title Power Braille 80
>assign routingRight1 81
>assign routingRight2 82
>assign routingRight3 79
>include pb_large.kti
>Neither I nor my friend understands what these entries refer to,
>and none mentions a rocker switch. What parameters should I
>change to reverse the rocker bar settings?

Follow the include directives. In this case, for example, you'll find more
relevant definitions in the file "pb_large.kti" (same directory). This file, as
you'll discover, includes the file "pb.kti". That's where you'll finally find
bindings for the LeftRocker and RightRocker keys.

Note that you'll need to restart the braille driver for such changes to take
effect.

>Since I'm seven hours from
>his home in Chicago at the moment and could not connect a PB80
>to test or access the preferences file to see if that preference was there,

The preferences file doesn't define key bindings.

>2.) I tried looking in /var/lib/brltty, but did not find brltty.prefs at all.

that simply means that new preference settings haven't yet been saved.

>Typing PREFMENU without the PowerBraille connected yields an
>error message: "No such command"

Typing PREFMENU where? It's a braille driver command - not a Linux command.

>3.) Also, to insure that the PB80 display starts at boot, I added the lines
>braille-driver ts
>braille-device serial:ttyS0
>to /etc/brltty.conf.

That looks correct.

>Then, per another entry in the documentation, I
>edited /etc/default/brltty as follows:
>ARGUMENTS="-q -b ts -d /dev/ttyS0"
>Am I correct in assuming that these changes will automatically
>start brltty at boot?

I don't know as I don't use a Debian-derived distribution. Perhaps someone who
does could answer this question for you.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |