[BRLTTY] USB not registering

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Apr 17 18:28:56 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Rob on 2019/04/17 at 17:11 -0500]

I'm going to refine your description:

>The Braille sense has a USB mini port for connecting for use as a braille
>display.

It'd have a female USB mini device port.

>The phone has a USB micro port.

It most likely has a female USB micro otg port.

>I have a USB to mini adapter. Female full size USB on one end, male mini on
>the other.

That'd be a typical USB host extension cable for converting from a standard
plug to a mini plug.

>The cable from the braille sense plugs into this. The mini end of the adapter
>plugs into a mini to micro adapter, which then goes into the phone.

That won't work. USB isn't symmetric, i.e. one end - the phone, in this case -
needs to act as the host. The way you've done it, the phone is still acting as
a device rather than as the host. That's why you need an otg cable.

Get an otg cable. It'll be short with a micro male for the phone end, and a
standard female at the other end. Connect the Braille Sense cable to that.

>Perhaps too much daisy chaining?

No, just incorrect chaining.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |