[BRLTTY] USB not registering

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Mon Apr 22 10:10:14 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by henk.abma at gmail.com on 2019/04/22 at 16:00 +0200]

>However in what way does targeting a higher SDK level impact the ability to
>run on older devices? In the apps we build, we set a minimum of SDK 16 in
>the manifest, while targeting SDK 28. This means that the app will still run
>on Android 4.1, but won't receive complaints from Android 9.

For brltty, the minimum SDK is 16 (Android 4.1) and the targeted SDK is 26
(Android 8). So, it's almost the same.

Upping the targeted SDK to 28 (Android 9) comes with a difficulty that I
haven't yet taken the time to resolve. Most of brltty is C so a native library
(actually, two) has to be made in order to load it. Starting with Android 9,
Google now wants both 32-bit and 64-bit native libraries. Right now, only a
32-bit library is made for brltty.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |