[BRLTTY] USB not registering

henk.abma at gmail.com henk.abma at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 12:30:42 EDT 2019

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: BRLTTY <brltty-bounces at brltty.app> Namens Dave Mielke
Verzonden: maandag 22 april 2019 16:10
Aan: Informal discussion between users and developers of BRLTTY.
<brltty at brltty.app>
Onderwerp: Re: [BRLTTY] USB not registering

[quoted lines by henk.abma at gmail.com on 2019/04/22 at 16:00 +0200]

>However in what way does targeting a higher SDK level impact the
>ability to run on older devices? In the apps we build, we set a minimum
>of SDK 16 in the manifest, while targeting SDK 28. This means that the
>app will still run on Android 4.1, but won't receive complaints from
Android 9.

For brltty, the minimum SDK is 16 (Android 4.1) and the targeted SDK is 26
(Android 8). So, it's almost the same.

OK, so the SDK version is not the reason for the message Rob reported. 26 is
fine I think.

Upping the targeted SDK to 28 (Android 9) comes with a difficulty that I
haven't yet taken the time to resolve. Most of brltty is C so a native
library (actually, two) has to be made in order to load it. Starting with
Android 9, Google now wants both 32-bit and 64-bit native libraries. Right
now, only a 32-bit library is made for brltty.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |