[BRLTTY] cursor routing slow when using brltty in gnome/mate-terminal

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Aug 31 20:26:07 EDT 2019

Nicolas Pitre, le sam. 31 août 2019 20:20:42 -0400, a ecrit:
> This is also annoying when using ssh over a far-away network connection.

Indeed!

> Sometimes you have a 8-character gap to cross but you can't tell if it
> is made of spaces or a single tab until you actually move to it.

Right, I was thinking about this case indeed.

> Maybe pipelining 2 or 3 keypresses could be attempted, and you must be
> ready to undo as many such moves if the cursor starts diverging.

Mmm. Maybe something that could work not so badly is to assume that one
left/right press will at most move 8 characters away, and thus when
routing 40 characters away, pipeline 40/8 = 5 presses, thus 5 times
faster. But only for long moves, but that's what matters anyway :)

Samuel