[BRLTTY] Build brltty with support for espeak-ng

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Thu Dec 5 05:08:10 EST 2019

[quoted lines by Tage Johansson on 2019/12/05 at 08:50 +0100]

>> > How ever, then I found another problem. All speech messages are enqueued. So
>> > if I walk two lines quickly, brltty speaks the first line done before it
>> > starts to speak the second line. I have set "say line mode" to immediate.
>> > This is probably a bug and I would be very pleased if it could be fixed.
>> Are you sure you're using the latest development code? I just tested this and
>> the previous line is ineeed stopped before the next line is spoken. Perhaps
>> this was a bug in an older release.
>
>I ran the following:
>
>$ make clean
>$ git pull

>$ ./configure --with-espeak=no
>$ make
>$ sudo ./run-brltty

Yes, that all looks good. When you run brltty, which version does it say it's
running?

One thing I might add, though, is that, for the general case, it'd be better
to do:

   make distclean
   git pull origin
   ./autogen
   ./configure

this matters the most when, for example, configure has been changed. While this
doesn't happen that often, you never know when it will.

>The problem is more precisely that the speech isn't interrupted when I move
>to a new line. The lines are not enqueued as I said before. For example. Let
>say brltty reads a very long line and I walk 10 lines away. Brltty doesn't
>stop to speak the first line until it is done, but when it is done with the
>first line, it will start to speak the current line I'm at and not all lines
>in between.

Yes, I understood that. So far, I've been unable to make that happen. I edited
a large file with the line numbers showing, and, as I quickly scroled through
it, I heard a bunch of truncated line numbers followed by the final line fully
spoken.

Perhaps others can give this a try.

>I expect brltty to interrupt the speech immediately when I move to a new
>line.

Yes, I agree with you. That's certainly how it should be working.

>It is very strange if this is different on different systems. Maybe it
>is a problem in espeak-ng. I'm using espeak-ng 1.50.

I'm using 1.49.2.

>I'm willing to help as much as possible to fix this problem because it is
>very annoying.

And I sure do want to fix whatever the problem is.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |