[BRLTTY] New Handy Tech display not recognised

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Thu Dec 12 10:36:06 EST 2019

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2019/12/12 at 09:18 +0100]

>I have tried to send a message to the list already, but it seems that something
>is wrong with my E-mail setup, so apologies if it arrives twice.

It's possible that the problem is here - will check it out. In any event, I do
recall having seen this message and just hand't replied to it yet.

>I have got a new braille device that BRLTTY does not recognise, apparently
>because the manufacturer did not care to request a unique USB ID. The device
>identifies itself as "Handy Tech BRAILLE Star 80 Ver. F4.31" and `lsusb` show:
>
>    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC

That isn't the problem because HandyTech does indeed use that generic chip.
Maybe it's just a new model. Could you please capture a debug log for when
brltty tries to connect to it? Use:

   -ldebug,usb,brldrv
   -L/path/to/logfile

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |