[BRLTTY] Braille Display Protocol

Tom Masterson kd7cyu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 11:45:54 EST 2019

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, Justin Cunningham wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> The difficulty is that integration with a screen reader, e.g.
>> brltty, isn't ultimately very useful if there isn't any way to navigate the
>> braille display around the screen.
>
> I see I’ve been misinterpreting what a screen reader does. I always thought that the text that is displayed to you is the text that the mouse is currently hovering over. When I played around with NVDA, the narrator spoke the text being hovered over so I just assumed the same applied to Braille Displays but I must be wrong.
>
> We’re just trying to show that the prototype also works independent of human input (e.g. right now, we have to manually type a character).

You are not entirely wrong.  A screen reader does dosplay what is under
the cursor (mouse or otherwise).  However because speech and braille are
limited to what they can show at one time you must be able to move around
the screen to get the context of what you are looking at.  Thus the need
for navigation.

Tom