[BRLTTY] Udev being fussy

Keith Wessel keith at wessel.com
Fri Feb 1 15:57:23 EST 2019

Thanks, Dave. Yes, the thought did occur to me that the udev rules and the
system service might be working against each other. Am I correct that I
should either have brltty.service running or let system-udevd start and stop
brltty, but not both?

I thought that brltty, itself, had some polling built into it for
reconnects. Thanks for confirming that suspicion. Seems like running
brltty.service at start-up with a display of auto and a device of usb:
should be as good as anything for detecting reconnects. But I'm happy to go
either route on this.

The udev rules from /lib/udev/rules.d/70-brltty.rules is running /bin/brltty
directly, not a wrapper. I'm attaching it. There are no customized versions
of these rules in /etc/udev/rules.d, and these appear to have been installed
by the Gentoo ebuild of brltty-5.2-r1.

I'll also attach the system scripts for brltty from /lib/system/system.
Unlike my Centos server at work, my Gentoo system has a simple
brltty.service and no additional pieces. I suspect the extra pieces on my
Centos system which contains brltty 5.6 RPMS that I built myself from your
SRPMS might work better in a udev world.

Do you want the output of systemctl status brltty while it's running as a
service from a systemctl start brltty, or do you want me to send what ti
says when I let udev start brltty?

Thanks for the help with the detective work on this. I like system, but
there are days that I still miss the simplicity of openrc. :)

Keith