[BRLTTY] Udev being fussy

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri Feb 1 17:06:54 EST 2019

[quoted lines by Keith Wessel on 2019/02/01 at 14:57 -0600]

>Am I correct that I should either have brltty.service running or let
>system-udevd start and stop brltty, but not both?

Udev will only work by itself if you use brltty's udev wrapper script as
brltty does keep running.

Your udev rules file is probably old as it doesn't contain the bits necessary
to interact with systemd. The simplest thing for you to do, therefore, is to
disable the udev rules (my method is to rename .rules to .rules.off) and to
enable the systemd service.

The systemd service you have looks very stripped down so maybe RedHat decided
not to use ours. The latest version of all our stuff (udev and systemd) may
look a little complex but lets multiple managede brltty processes run at the
same time. USB-connected braille devices are managed by the udev rules, and,
for non-USB, you can have multiple brltty.conf files (named
brltty_instance.conf) managed by brltty at instance.path units. If you'd like that
flexibility then I can help you get it set up.

>I thought that brltty, itself, had some polling built into it for
>reconnects.

Yes, it does. That's why disabling the udev rules and starting the systemd
service will work for you if you only need one brltty instance.

>Seems like running brltty.service at start-up with a display of auto and a
>device of usb: should be as good as anything for detecting reconnects.

Yes, but only if you disable the udev rules so they won't mess with yuu.

>The udev rules from /lib/udev/rules.d/70-brltty.rules is running /bin/brltty
>directly, not a wrapper.

That'd be why udev is killing brltty. You could add the wrapper and then modify
the rules to use it. If you go that route then you'd need to disable the
systemd service.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |