[BRLTTY] Release 6.0 soon.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sun Feb 3 12:23:01 EST 2019

Finally, after two major delays, brltty-6.0 is just about ready. The crrrent
plan is to release it in a couple of weeks, i.e. February 18 or shortly
thereafter. Please, everyone who can, do test the latest development code as
best you can so that we can do our best to ensure that 6.0 will be as problem
free as possible.

The big feature in brltty-6.0 is its ability to read Unicode characters from a
Linux text screen. This new capability also requires the use of a Linux 4.19
(or later) kernel. The constraint of only being able to read at most 512 unique
characters at a time has finally been eliminated. The 256 Unicode braille cell
(pattern) characters are now correctly rendered without having to do any fancy
font fiddling and without having to sacrifice 256 otherwise useful character
definitions. We can finally read several languages without having to switch
fonts. This new capability should also resolve a lot of problems for those who
read languages like Mandarin and Cantonese which require many, many characters.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |