[BRLTTY] Udev being fussy

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sun Feb 24 17:36:31 EST 2019

[quoted lines by Keith Wessel on 2019/02/04 at 15:00 -0600]

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I've been rather ill for a bit.

>When I unplugged the display, no attempt was made to stop brltty.

Yes, that's how it used to be.

>So, when I reconnected the display, nothing happened. Of course, if brltty 5.2
>was re-detecting and reconnecting to a display, it would have worked, but if
>that was happening, I'd just ben running brltty as a service at boot and not
>bothering with this. :)

5.2 is five years old. I'm sure that those rules didn't yet support stopping
brltty.

>Your brltty_systemd section of the udev rules sends processing to brltty_end
>if the action isn't add.

Sure, because, in that case, systemd is responsible for stopping brltty.

>So, am I correct that, when system is present, your udev rules start brltty
>for the connected display but don't stop it?

Yes, because the responsibility for managing the brltty i9nstance has been
handed over to systemd.

>And, in this case, the probing from inside brltty is used to reconnect?

No. When the USB device disappears (i.e. when you pull the cable) then systemd
will stop brltty. Of course, this'll only work with new enough systemd units.

>If so, I think I'm back to building 5.6 from source. I'm toying with this
>idea, since I have no experience with building ebuilds, of building rpms and
>using Gentoo's limited rpm support.

You could do that, but all you should actually need to do is install the latest
(from 6.0) Udev rules and Systemd units.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |