[BRLTTY] Brltty 6 and Centos 7

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Thu Feb 28 11:18:37 EST 2019

[quoted lines by Keith Wessel on 2019/02/27 at 10:47 -0600]

>I was hoping to build or install Brltty 6 on my Centos 7 system. I grabbed
>the main RPM (brltty main package, binary 64-bit RPM) and did a --test
>--upgrade to see what it might need. It looks like, among other things, it
>wants glibc 2.27. The current Centos 7.5 latest version of glibc is 2.17.

glibc-2.17 is rather old. The requirement for 2.27 would be because that'd have
been the version of glibc on the system where the rpm was built. I'm quite sure
that 2.17 would be okay, but, without a system old enough to verify that, it's
hard to be sure.

>Were these RPMs intended for Fedora?

The rpms were built on a recent Fedora system.

>I know the download page mentions both Fedora and Redhat, but I'm wondering if
>that text is more geared toward the RPM format rather than the specific
>packages.

It has nothing to do with the rpm format. Actually, the Red Hat reference comes
from a long time ago when Fedora was known as Red Hat Linux. CentOS, which,
ultimately, is a copy of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, would also support the rpms.
the problem is that those releases tend to be so old that any rpm built for a
more recent system might, as you've discovered, have dependency issues.

I suppose that we could maintain an older system for building the rpms, but the
insentive to do so isn't very great. I think the right approach would be to ask
the CentOS people to build the rpms for their distribution so that they'd get
picked up by their package management process.

>Or is there a way to get these RPMs to install on Centos 7?

You could always specify the option to ignore the dependency issues.

>I'm happy to build from source RPM again but would love to skip that step if
>there's a way on my current OS to use the binary packages.

I don't have a CentOS system, or even an old enough Fedora system, on which to
experiment.

You could always not use the rpms and build from the source tarball.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |