[BRLTTY] Update on QWERTY Keyboard

Rob captinlogic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 16:27:54 EST 2019

Dave Mielke <Dave at mielke.cc> wrote:
> For HIMS qwerty, yes. I can only guess, but suspect that they may have made
> their decisions on this kind of stuff based on NVDA - i.e. on what they
> observed being done on Windows. NVDA, as I understand it, uses six-dot literary
> braille as translated via LibLouis. This's fine, of course, but it means that
> issues pertaining to eight-dot computer braille were probably not considered.

NVDA and voiceover, I think. Though I know nothing about v o; I suspect they have a larger market share (and thus consideration by manufacturers) than we do.
Orca also uses LL for its translation, but they also use Brltty as their back end, and I'm not sure how that translate to keyboard input not having tried it. I suspect, however, that the results will be the same.

> Not exactly. Many braille displays handle qwerty keyboards much better.

Such as which ones, might I ask? I like my Hims qwerty and am not aware of any other units that also have a qwerty keyboard.