[BRLTTY] ‘empty console’

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Tue Nov 5 16:01:02 EST 2019

Hello,

on a freshly installed GNU/Linux system I am experiencing an ‚empty’ screen with BRLTTY.
After booting the machine, the braille display is empty and shows only the
blinking cursor. The screen shows the normal TTY log in prompt.
When typing the cursor moves,  but letters are not shown. Using the braille
navigation commands, I find the missing text scattered across the screen with some
lines being indented and those close to the cursor still missing. When
navigating the existing text, it feels as if there were additional blank lines
between the lines on the screen. It feels as if the cursor was misplaced on
the representation of the screen that BRLTTY shows on the display.
This issue only exists on the virtual TTYs, not on a graphical Terminal with
Orca.

How could I provide more information to work on this issue?
I can confirm this behaviour with BRLTTY 5.6 and 6.0 with a Hedo MobiLine
display and a 4.x and 5.2 Linux kernel.

Thank you in advance
Sebastian