[BRLTTY] ‘empty console’

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Sun Nov 17 11:01:33 EST 2019

Hi

Sebastian Humenda schrieb am 05.11.2019, 22:01 +0100:
>on a freshly installed GNU/Linux system I am experiencing an ‚empty’ screen with BRLTTY.
>After booting the machine, the braille display is empty and shows only the
>blinking cursor. The screen shows the normal TTY log in prompt.

I have now had a chance to find out more about the issue. I can reproduce this
both on a Debian 10 with Linux 4.19, or 5.2, as well as on an Ubuntu with
Linux 5.3.
As a temporary work-around, I have set the console font from „fixed” to
terminus in the largest font. I wonder how this might affect /dev/vcsu. The
Linux tty uses a framebuffer with an AMD GPU driver.

In contrast to what I wrote before, BRLTTY actually shows text on each line,
but the lines are very long (at least 6-7 times my 40 cell display) and the
cursor has an offset. So for instance, the login prompt is shown with an
offset of around 60 cell from the start,
but the cursor blinks in the empty space at the beginning.

Please let me know if I could provide more information.

Thanks
Sebastian